How to Develop Healthy Habits with Kids
One of the challenging aspects of parenting is deciding how to best help kids develop healthy habits. Establishing positive routines early in life is incredibly important, and can help prepare your kids for a healthy, successful future. As 2019 has finally arrived and we're in the season of setting resolutions for the year ahead, we thought we'd share some tips on how to establish healthy habits with kids.
- Picky eaters? Encourage them to play with their food! Kids are more likely to try new foods if they're arranged in fun designs like cars, butterflies, or bees. Try using cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into different shapes, and include colorful foods (like carrots, blueberries, strawberries, and tomatoes), to make mealtime fun
- Don't skip story time! Reading aloud to kids will help grow their logic and language skills, and is one of the best ways to develop a bond with your little ones. Once their literacy skills are far enough along, take turns reading aloud.
- Get moving! Exercise is crucial in ensuring healthy development, and being active as a family is a great way to have fun together. Try going swimming, riding bikes, or even walking around your neighborhood together after dinner.
- Make chores fun! Help your kids create a playlist of songs they love, and listen to them while you work together. Bonus: many cleaning activities like sweeping and vacuuming are great exercise!
- Get involved with your community! Find a volunteer opportunity in your town, and bring the whole family. Volunteering is an amazing way to help teach kids about the importance of civic engagement, and it's a great way to spend time together as a family.